Monday, March 10, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Book Name: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Author: Stephen Chbosky

Series: N/A

Total Amount of Pages: 213

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Blurb: Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.
Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

Favourite Character: Patrick

Comments: The Perks of Being a Wallflower got me thinking. I honestly went into to it with high expectations and didn't get what I had hoped. There was one scene in the book with the character Mary Elizabeth and Charlie that made me so angry that I couldn't look past it. When were first introduced to Charlie we obviously know that there is something different about him but there was no excuse for that because picturing myself in her shoes, it's horrible.

But the book was interesting in a sense. You thought about different things that never would have crossed your mind and you're introduced to a whole bunch of different things that you may face going through high school or hear about. The book itself was very private. I almost felt as though I was reading someone else's journal. It was so descriptive and private that it felt wrong and I felt awkward but I think that was the point because it really got you thinking.

I actually liked the book better when I finished it because I really got to think about it and consider what the author was actually trying to get across to me. It was a very well put together book and even though there was one scene that ruined it, there were many others that made it. The quotes were amazing and true and will stick with me forever.

It is a book that should be read just for the sake of reading. I stepped out of my comfort zone and it was worth it.

Rating: * * *

Sequels: N/A


It's Time
Imagine Dragons


Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment